Thursday, February 24, 2011

Where We Are

I'm in the process of ordering standardized tests for our home school group. This always feels like the end is in sight... until I realize it's still February.

For my records:

First Form Latin is a big hit. We loved Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I as well, but this new addition to Memoria Press's offerings is just right for Bobo (and me!) right now. We watch the lecture together on DVD, she completes one of the five exercises each day, culminating with the lesson quiz after the five days of practice. Elbow is working independently in LC I since she's already familiar with the vocabulary, conjugations, and declensions.

We are on chapter 11 in Human Anatomy and Physiology. Three chapters to go! We'll switch gears to Medieval History at that point, following our plan of half the year on science, half on history. (We continue this part during the summer).

Bobo is finishing her year of girl themed literature with Heidi. She's read Beautiful Girlhood, Emily of Deep Valley, Elsie Dinsmore, Pollyanna, and Understood Betsy.

Elbow is currently continuing her Americana themed year with Happy Little Family. She's done Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Trumpet of the Swan, The Moffats, and Homer Price.

Toddzilla just finished First Steps in the Pathway Readers series. I switched him over from McGuffey (which I used with both girls early on) because he immediately took to the farming theme and seemed to do better with a continuous story line, rather than the short unrelated selections in McGuffey. I do love McGuffey and we will probably return there after finishing the next couple books in the Pathway series.

All are set to finish their math and spelling curriculum in May.