Saturday, September 29, 2007

Her Father's Daughter

One of the highlights of Bobo's time at Disney was when a restaurant worker at our resort gave her a "reader of the day" award. I think this nice woman made the award up on the spot; nevertheless, she presented a beaming Bobo with a Mickey-clad certificate of honor. Ribbons, certificates, pins... any form of collectible acknowledgement seems to be the way to my oldest daughter's heart.

She was sitting at the cafe table reading Vidia and the Fairy Crown from the Pixie Hollow series, when the woman -- a former teacher -- asked her if she could really read such a big book. "Read a page for me," she said. Dutifully, Bobo set forth. "How did you learn to read with such emphasis?" The teacher asked.

Prideful mama assumed her child would answer something to the effect of, "From my mom; I'm homeschooled." Oh no, didn't even mention her sweet mother. "My dad was an actor," she said, "he's very theatrical." Sigh.
Ah well, somebody's got to keep me humble.




No comments: