Thursday, August 16, 2007

When the Cat's Away, the Mice Shall Play!

My husband doesn't travel much, for which I am very thankful. When he is away overnight, then, it is a big deal. Truth be told, I rather enjoy getting to have dinner any old time, any old way. Usually this means pizza or something easy and fun. (I've been known to head to a kid friendly restaurant and avoid cooking altogether). Since it happens so infrequently, it's kind of an adventure for my brood and me.

This week we had just such a time. Getting our school work done in the morning, we had all afternoon to do whatever our hearts desired. No hurry up and tidy before Dad comes home, no rush to get dinner on the table. We ended up going our own ways -- as much as four children six and under can do that -- and having a grand ol' time.

My baby napped much of the afternoon. The 2 year old -- affectionately (of course) dubbed Toddzilla by his old sisters -- was happy as a clam shoveling sand into a rubbermaid in the backyard. The girls were playing Joseph and I was told quite matter-of-factly that it was a private game. Their new passion is the soundtrack to Andrew Lloyd Weber's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. They've got all the songs memorized and love to run around singing, "I am a walking work of art!"

I was left to my own devices... for pretty much the entire afternoon. Imagine that!

No comments: