Sunday, August 19, 2007

From Scratch

There have been two things in our home that have helped to motivate my children to do their chores: The Little House books and home made aprons.

After reading all the Little House books last year, my girls were constantly wanting to sweep and mend, cook and clean. Endless games of Mary and Laura continue to be played, all focusing on the joys of domesticity. Everything made in the kitchen now should surely be "from scratch;" if they only knew what life was really like when a good old box of Duncan Hines cake mix was non-existent. I'm all for being idealistic, but a cake mix sure comes in handy once in a while.

Recently I made these aprons and purses for the girls on my new sewing machine. They immediately asked for chores! And asked. And asked. I know, I know... this will surely be short-lived. But I'll take as many days as I can get from my willing little workers.

The aprons and purses are from Bend the Rules sewing. I altered the purse pattern quite a bit and added a rosette instead of a velvet bow for my more -classic-than-chic girls.


4 comments:

Silvia said...

Beautiful aprons and girls! I'm afraid that an apron won't get my son to help with housework, though. Oh well!

Stephanie Appleton said...

We are using the Little House books for school this year. I sure hope it has the same affect on my kids! ;)

Lovely aprons.

Anonymous said...

i used to love reading little house!! I wanted to do the same thing as a child :) They sound like mamma's little helper :)

Grandmother Wren said...

My daughter pretended she was Laura Ingalls for one entire summer - the most peaceful we've ever had.
Laura was a very well behaved child! ;)