Friday, July 20, 2007

Give Me That Old Time Religion


“No one living in Zion will say, ‘I am ill;’ and the sins of those who dwell there will be forgiven.” Isaiah 33:24

“There is a balm in Gilead, to heal the sin-sick soul.” We sang those powerful words recently in the sanctuary. It’s one of my all time favorite hymn lines. Of course there’s also “Oh, let me not forget, that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.” And, “the hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.” Not to mention, “Prone to wonder, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. Here’s my heart, oh, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.” But I digress…

Music has a way of moving us like nothing else. It speaks to our very souls, reminds us of times gone by, lifts our hearts and unites our voices in a hope for the future. I can remember spending hours and hours as a teenager with my earphones on, transported to another world.

But the music that moves me now -- as you can see from my abridged list of favorite lyrics -- has one thing in common. It tells the truth about me. It looks me right in the eye and says, “You’re sick, you need healing.” It talks about sin.

You don’t get that anywhere else. You only get half the story if you’re only plugging in to the world’s songs. Sure, you may feel better about yourself if you stand in front of your mirror and repeat the latest self-help slogan, but it won’t cure your sin-sick soul. It won’t do anything to change your condition.

But there is a balm. There is a cure. His name is Jesus. When he’s touched your life, spoken words of truth into your very being, you – like those in Zion – will no longer say “I am ill.” You will feel the power of his forgiveness and be transformed by his grace and truth.

No comments: