Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Back in the Habit...

I have gotten out of the habit of recording narrations around here, primarily because my oldest now writes hers on her own.  I'm re-reading A Charlotte Mason Companion though, so I've been convicted that we need to get going again.  I always have them narrate to me over lunch or while we're doing other things, but I haven't taken the time to record anything recently.  So, this morning, I had Elbow narrate Thomas Edison: The Wizard of Menlo Park, which she read a few weeks ago:

Thomas Alva Edison was a famous inventor. He invented the light bulb; he invented the telegraph. He used to live in Menlo Park, but then they moved, so Thomas Edison built a new factory. His office was huge!

When he was little, he went to school. But only for three months. He only went to school for three months because he asked too many questions; the teacher got too angry. So his mother took him out of school and home schooled him. So he was able to ask all his questions and become and good inventor.

When he had built that huge factory, a few years later, there was a fire. Someone in the inventing room had blown something up! But the factory did not burn down.

Early in the morning of October 18, 1931, Thomas Edison died. The reporters did not want to bother Mrs. Edison. Mrs. Edison promised to tell them when Thomas Edison died. She would signal the reporters. The signal would be: when Thomas Edison died, she would turn off the electric light that he made.

The Narrator

I couldn't resist snapping a picture of my girl in messy braids, her TKD uniform, practicing away. That about sums her up: classical, feisty, our "Little Brown Braid."

Note: when I look through my labels on my sidebar, I see the only narrations are from Bobo's pleasure reading a few years ago. I'm not sure why I did that - we don't narrate pleasure books at all anymore and I honestly don't remember that we did it then.  Funny how that happens. We now narrate from the Apologia science books - since they written with the Charlotte Mason method in mind - and from our history books.