Thursday, July 31, 2008

True Confessions

I'm not that particular about sugar. There, I said it. Actually, I haven't put too much thought into sugar until recently, upon finding many of our new friends here in Ohio to be very sugar conscious. (As in "is that sugar free lemonade you're serving?") I didn't know there was such a thing.

The occasional sugar cereal is even consumed first thing in the morning. Dessert is served most every night. I can hear the gasps of horror right through my screen. Sorry.

It's not like we go crazy. (Disregard above photo - Crockett is a rule unto himself. And no, I didn't give him the whole box of generic Lucky Charms. He did that all on his own). It's just not that big a deal to me. It's puzzling that we as a culture worry so much about what goes into our little one's mouths and throw caution to the wind regarding what goes into their hearts and minds. Let's face it: there's not a whole lot of good, clean, fun offered to our children anywhere.

Call me crazy but I think Jesus might agree. Not only did he say it's not what enters a man's mouth that pollutes him, but what flows out from his heart (Matthew 7:18-23). The bible also teaches us, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (Proverbs 4:23).
Guarding the little ones' hearts is a full time job in this world. I don't want to take it lightly. Surely it's this busy vigilance that allows my little one to be left to his own devices in the kitchen once in a while... Ahem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cutie - even if he does get into everything!

Susan said...

I totally agree about the sugar thing and have often thought the same thing about how Mom's can get so consumed about nutrition. Yes, it is important, but no, it's not the most important thing!
I read an article recently about a mother whose son was 5 and had never eaten sugar, and why she felt it was so important, and how to build this into life... And I thought, "THAT is your vigil and your focus?" I mean it's fine and all, but the more important parenting efforts lie, I think, elsewhere...
~Susan