Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Advent Plans


Our Advent plans are complete. I try hard to keep this simple. There will be plenty of "extras" during December: dance and music recitals, church events, and of course a few parties.

We've been quite fond of the Lego Advent calendars in years past. This year they actually added a girl themed version so I bought two: one for the boys, one for the girls. Early mornings begin with, "Is it my day to make the Legos?" We've added quite a few pieces to our ever growing Lego collection through this little Advent tradition.

We celebrate St. Nicholas and St. Lucy -- one with shoes on the fire place, filled with golden chocolates in the morning, the other with a candlelight breakfast.

This year I will add two new crafts, both gleaned from the wisdom of others. Jenn gave me the idea for making our own beeswax Advent candles. I think we'll make lots of others (the kit supplies you enough for 20 candles) to give as gifts.

I got the list for a Jesse tree here. We'll try making one of the items each day with Sculpey and hanging them from some branches in a vase. I'm not sure how successful we'll be - sculpting a lion and lamb for instance - may prove too difficult for my young brood, but we'll have fun and learn a ton in the process.

No comments: