Tuesday, October 9, 2007

B.F.F.

That same five year old just told me she can't wait for her sister to come home because she's her best friend. Maybe it's because I never had a sister, but comments like these always melt me.

My children aren't overly scheduled, and they don't have constant playdates. We usually get together with other families for a meal and some play time when we socialize. For me, this is wonderfully convenient. I don't know how moms keep track of their children's busy social and extracurricular events, let alone getting them there on time. For them, it fosters a sense of family unity, a desire to get along even when it's difficult, and greater imaginative play. Children accustomed to playing with their siblings know how to make it work, even with a two year old around. "Oh, he wants to destroy everything we just built? Let's pretend that's part of the game..." You know the drill.


Last summer I read Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by the Mally siblings. My first thought was, "Wow, they are some great kids." My next one was, "So that's possible? Who knew?" I pray my children will not only love each other and get along, but have a real desire to be best friends as they grow. This sounds simple and even obvious, but I've noticed that's not the prevailing notion. Many parents pit siblings against each other and create solitary universes for each child. Some grow up not ever really getting to know their brothers and sisters (if they are lucky enough to have any).

Sigh. That was a very roundabout way of saying, "Bobo, we miss you! Can't wait to see you tomorrow!"

No comments: