Monday, June 20, 2011

Ordinary Time People

We've just entered one of those blessed seasons of the church life called Ordinary Time: the weeks after Epiphany and again after Pentecost that fall outside of the "strong seasons" of Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter. Ordinary Time is week-in-week-out kind of stuff: no big fireworks, just the daily grind. I love ordinary time.

I think I've mentioned before that holidays are not our strong suit around here. We managed Father's Day pretty well - not without any tense moments - but definitely one of our better showings. Mother's Day as well. I'm not complaining. I'm just giving thanks for the return of all the little daily rituals and routines that bring sanity and peace to this place we call home.

Oh, and if you've ever wondered what a preacher does on Saturday night when he doesn't have to preach...

He builds a mortar for his boys and attempts to launch tennis balls with lighter fluid and fire. (Remember those "tense moments" I spoke about above? Enough said.)