Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Submission

"Submit yourselves to one another out of reverence to Christ" Ephesians 5:21

God is so faithful.

Sometimes - especially when you're in the midst of one battle or another - it's easy to lose sight of that.

Hubby and I have been going back and forth over an issue for a few weeks. He wanted one thing, I wanted another. Generally speaking, that's exactly when God calls the wife to submit. I realize this is an unpopular sentiment, but surely everyone agrees that when two are at loggerheads, someone must give in. It just so happens that God chose the wife. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to submit in our almost 14 year marriage. Hard as it was at the time (I'm fairly strong minded; I'm sure you never knew!), I still feel the benefits of at least one of these situations many, many years later. Disaster would have ensued had I pursued my course. I have come to trust that God knows what he's doing.

But in our current situation, what Hubby wanted was going to put a strain on our family for quite some time. After talking it through, he laid it down and pursued the course of action I was hoping for. The next day he brought me these roses - one for each in my family - to show me there were no hard feelings.


But God had already changed my heart (even before I knew about the flowers!), pushing me to lay my wishes down as well and figure out a way we could make it work. What a joy it is to experience the "profound mystery" of marriage with my best friend.

For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:4