Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Book Lists

Since we're not doing history right now (we're trying a six months science/history rotation), I've had to come up with reading lists for the oldest three. When we're in the history part of the year, their independent reading follows the subjects we're studying, mainly books recommended in The Well Trained Mind or through Sonlight curriculum. Science doesn't seem to lend itself as easily to great literature, although I'm sure there will be those who disagree.

Toddzilla - Kindergarten.  His list is made up of fun Dr. Seuss books and selections from McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader.

Elbow: I'm using the 3rd grade reading list from the Highlands Latin School to start: Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, The Moffats, and Homer Price. I had to laugh the other day when I found some random notes on her desk: "All they talk about in Farmer Boy is food! No wonder Ma is plump!"

Bobo: It's a girl themed year for her, in a bildungsroman, character-building kind of way... We started with Beautiful Girlhood (the one adapted by Karen Andreola).  She loved it and made herself a little journal to go with it, copying down the Scriptures and quotes she found most appealing. Right now she's reading Emily of Deep Valley. If you haven't been around Melissa Wiley's blog lately, you may not know that many of the Betsy-Tacy books are being re-issued as we speak. I loved these as a girl and I've read the first four to my daughters, which we all thoroughly enjoyed. From there we may pick up Jane of Lantern Hill, Little Women, Elsie Dinsmore, you get the idea...