Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Poems

Elbow - not prone to writing of any sort - came up to me the other day and said, "I have a poem I want you to type for me." This is rare for her so I sat right down to type. Here's her offering:


The Beautiful World and Jesus Christ

I love to watch the birds high up in the blue, blue sky
I like to watch the bees that work near the flowers
I love the beautiful world here that You made for us
Why do I deserve to live here?

Because You sacrificed Your life for us
Died on the cross, were buried in a tomb
Risen to heaven and seated at the right hand of the Father
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

You will come again
When the world should end
And judge the living from the dead

The living rise with you to heaven
And live forever in Christ.


This afternoon I asked Bobo, who has penned more poems and short stories than I can keep track of, to write a poem in response to her reading from The Tale of Troy.  Here's her offering: (I have thoroughly corrected her spelling, which left LOTS to be desired).



THE SIEGE OF TROY

In the belly of a wooden horse
hidden and tucked away
hide 12 soldiers - hopes as bright as day.

Waiting, waiting ,waiting for the signal light
To lead them to Troy
The light that conquered Troy town
That brought the end to the 10 long years of pitiless revenge.

The attack came, boiling hot
And Meneleus ravaged and sought
For the one who started it all
With a smile her heart did fall.

But woe is Hellen - pityless fright
Hiding in the shadows of night.

But soft and pure is her love
So Meneleus, do spare her!
The right deed done by her love-bearer.

And so my friends
This story ends
With the love unbroken twixt two people
Many years of fighting have just gone past,
But I am sure their love will last.