Thursday, May 1, 2008

Why We Home School

I've never sat down to list our reasons for home schooling, and I'm not sure I ever will. When asked, I generally respond with a different reason every time. (Not that I keep changing my opinion; there's more than one reason, n'est pas?).

When I saw my daughter - after finishing her lessons and music - rush out to her "birding station" to work on her nature notebook, I thought of what Dawn wrote the other day about time. That's one of home schooling's greatest side effects: time for children to be children, time for learning new skills and crafts in an unrushed manner, time for afternoons outside, time to build close relationships with siblings and parents.


Unhurried time.* It's a luxury we consider ourselves blessed to have.

*Please note: this does not apply to Sunday mornings, which are about as hurried, hectic, and hair-raising as this mom can handle.

2 comments:

Eileen said...

What a beautiful, idyllic picture -- both in words and illustration. Two of my kids are busily -- and silently! Even they commented on that! -- crafting away in the kitchen, working on figures for our May altar, and they've been at it for more than an hour! Like you, I am so pleased that they have time to follow their own interests and do the things that bring them joy. And I'm glad I get to see it, too!

molly said...

What a lovely picture and post!