Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

We did pancakes - full of butter and syrup - for Shrove Tuesday last night, getting us ready for our Lenten disciplines. This year, we're trying to "take something on" as well as "give something up." Here are our plans, still being tweaked a bit (me especially).

Hubby: Reading the Large Catechism, memorizing the Small Catechism, reading The Pastor: A Spirituality, fasting on Thursdays.
Me: Getting back to quiet times of bible reading and prayer. Since our move these have been few and far between. Giving up sweets.
Bobo: (Who once declared, at age 3, "I'm giving up Sunday School for Lent"). Giving up sweets and trying to read her bible.
Elbow: Giving up coming out of her room at night (it takes her much longer to fall asleep than her sister and she likes to come out and let us know she's still awake). Adding a "lunch and dinner time bible story."
Toddzilla: Not quite convinced this whole Lenten thing is a good idea. Still undecided.
Crockett: He's claiming the privilege of the young. Although, unfortunately, I think he's trying to give up his morning nap!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had pancakes last night,too--with real maple syrup, and bacon!

I had a good fast today...which means I can hardly wait for breakfast tomorrow.

And I'm already late by about 20 minutes on one of my Lenten sacrifices--getting to bed by 11!

Better run!

melanie said...

so sweet about your baby... My toddler twins are giving up listening to their mama, and my 4 year old told me very seriously that he was going to do something REALLY good... he's going to give up stealing. (hmmmm... what have I been missing?)