Thursday, May 17, 2007

Best Laid Plans


Inspired by Dawn, we were all set for our Ascension Day tea. Egg whites beaten to nice, stiff peaks, our "light as air" cookies were ready to be popped in the oven. My two year old was seated up on the counter, "helping."


"Mom, fire!"


Sure enough, through the oven window, I saw flames engulfing my oven. I swung the door open and found the problem. That same two year old, now so sweetly being Mom's Helper, had left at least 10 plastic plates in the oven -- yesterday. Ten! Plastic was literally dripping from the lower oven rack.


Needless to say, instead of tea time we had a massive clean up project on our hands. All was not lost: we still had a chance to talk about how when Jesus ascended into heaven he didn't leave us alone, without a helper. Even in the midst of the everyday messes, he sends the Holy Spirit to grant us love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, self control...


Did I mention PATIENCE?

No comments: